Elegant Home: Making an Elegant Home Series
Part 2: The Dining Room
WHAT IS A DINING ROOM REALLY…
- It sparks long conversations.
- There are heated debates
- Loving gazes
- Moments both good and bad
- This is where we traditionally break bread even with our enemies (which as a teen, was my sister!) and nurture our souls and ourselves.
- A dining room isn’t only where we eat but where we influence our families.
- Memories are constantly being made. Getting home from school and starting your homework on the table.
- Where we got in trouble and sent to our rooms before dessert, or where our parents pressured and drilled our boyfriends with all sorts of irrelevant questions (like “Are you planning on getting any tattoos?”)… because it matters…
- This room is where we would sneak the food we didn’t like to the dog under the table
- Played monopoly as kids until 2 in the morning and practically falling asleep sitting up, but “we aren’t tired.”
- “Elbows off the table “ was a frequent saying every night
- There was always a handy towel to sop up any spilled milk that happened too often.
- This was where we tasted our first sip of wine and felt all grown up
- Or when you just moved in with your new husband and you accidentally burn the pork chops to the point of almost inedible and your hubby lovingly ate all of it with a smile.
LET’S WALK IN WITH WIDE EYES
THE PERFECT LIGHTING
TO TABLECLOTH OR NOT TO TABLECLOTH
HUTCH OR BUFFET?
A FEW RULES TO KEEP FOR AN ELEGANT DINING ROOM
- No paperwork
- No electronics
- No toys
- No television
- No hurrying through the meal just to get back to social media