Importance of Etiquette
Etiquette is what elevates a typical day to one that is of beauty.
Good manners will open doors that the best education cannot”
– Clarence Thomas
It doesn’t need to be overwhelming or confusing because to put it simply, etiquette is a way to make the world a better place. They are silent (and not so silent) rules put in place to make others more comfortable and at ease, not to mention make yourself feel better as well.
What is the first requirement of good etiquette?
You can do this by being respectful and considerate. The idea is to make sure others are comfortable around you. Making the world better is a benefit of etiquette.
There is of course the more recognizable social rules that you might be more familiar with, such as saying please and thank you, holding the door open, and not yawning in someone’s face.
What are the rules of etiquette?
The rules of etiquette are a fluid set of rules that dictate what is considered normal in a social setting.
They are forever changing and evolving.
Social etiquette that was considered polite, is now seen as rude. Just imagine now a man ordering for a woman? Before it was almost mandatory. Now, a woman could be offended by the gesture.
Some Rules of Etiquette that are used daily…
- Be genuine.
Even if you are an amazing actress, your fake attitude can be spotted a mile away. It’s best to be who you are with everyone, regardless of who they are, try to never be rude.
- Be honest.
This is similar to being genuine, because if you lie too much not only will you soon forget who you lied to and what you lied about, but your reputation will forever be a liar. No one’s memory is that good, just be honest and be proud of who you are.
- Be empathetic
Always try to put yourself in the other person’s shoes. This is a huge help, especially when dealing with strangers that are being less than nice with you. Having empathy forces you to look at the bigger picture and see that perhaps they are having a rough day. This helps you not feed into their anger but instead disperse it.
Is Etiquette the Same as Manners?
Although they are used together frequently, they aren’t the same thing.
Etiquette is your overall demeanor in social settings. How you handle different situations.
Manners are the simply how you react to other people.
For example, when you hold the door open for a stranger – that is considered manners. However, the way you welcome guests in your home is etiquette.
Types of Etiquette
Social Media Etiquette
Baby Shower Etiquette
Bridal Shower Etiquette
What is Universal Etiquette?
The most wonderful thing about etiquette is that there is no “one-size-fits-all” rule. In some countries, what is considered rude in North America is perfectly acceptable in China.
For example, slurping.
Slurping your soup or noodles is bad taste in the States, but in China it is normal and even polite!
What is General Etiquette?
The best rule of thumb for following etiquette, no matter where you are, is to be tuned in to the people around you. Remember the Golden rule when you were a child? This goes into play now!
When you treat others how you want to be treated, then you are practicing etiquette. If you consider how others will feel, then you are perfecting your etiquette.
General etiquette is basic etiquette that can be used at any time in your life. Imagine common courtesy and being polite had a baby, etiquette would be its name!
- How to Compliment Someone’s ClothesA well-chosen compliment can brighten someone’s day and make them feel good about themselves. But giving a compliment is not always easy. In this article, you will learn 50 different ways to compliment someone on their clothes when NOT to compliment how to be genuine while doing it How to Compliment Someone’s Clothes When it … Read more
- What To Do When Someone Calls You The Wrong NameManners make for good company, and we should always be mindful of how our words may affect others. In this article you will learn: How to politely correct someone When to let it go Be aware of your tone What to do When Someone Calls you the wrong name Most people have made the mistake … Read more
- Why is Etiquette Important?What is etiquette and why is it important? Etiquette is everywhere. You can choose to have good etiquette or poor etiquette, but there is no escaping it! Etiquette also helps us have more pleasant interactions with each other in our everyday lives, so it’s imperative for an elegant woman to understand good manners. In this … Read more
- Common CourtesyCommon courtesy: The SHORT ANSWER Common courtesy is a little something that makes living among other humans so wonderful. When you feel that the world has been so cruel and it leaves you questioning the existence of humanity that is exactly when someone unsuspecting holds the door open for you and tells you to have … Read more
- Conversation Starters to Make You ConfidentConservation Starters How to Make Conversation Conservation Starters The art of conversation starters and keeping it going. One good conversation can shift the direction of change forever. Linda Lambert Whether it is conversation starters with your crush, romantic conversation starters or conversation starters for texting, we talk a lot. It might seem a little … Read more